* Jeroen De Dauw <jeroended...@gmail.com> [Fri, 15 Oct 2010 23:08:21
+0200]:
> Hey,
>
> I'd like to introduce everyone to an extension called Validator [0]
that
> wrote over the past few months and aims to facilitate parameter
handling
> for
> other extensions. I developed it for usage in the Maps and Semantic
Maps
> extensions, as I thought it would be nice to have a less messy way of
> creating parser hooks. It's now at a point where it can be used by
other
> extensions, without having to worry about compatibility to much. For a
> more
> detailed explanation of what Validator does, check out the
> "functionality
> overview" section [1] on the extension page.

That explanation is way too short, certainly not detailed enough. Some
samples of usage can be presented, for example.

> I encourage all extension authors to have a look at it, especially if
> you
> are considering creating a new extension where you have to deal with
> user-provided parameters, to see if this can help you. Feedback is
> welcome
> :)
>
> [0] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Validator
> [1]

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Validator#Functionality_overview

API also has a nice parameters definition / validation / description
features. I wonder whether these can be used outside of API, though.
I wonder whether that should be a part of core. Especially integrated
into WebRequest / FauxRequest, it can be more powerful and routing-like.
Dmitriy