Tim Starling wrote:
> Platonides wrote:
>> Backwards compatibility.
>> Some systems may not support symlinks
>> $wgStylePath would be sad if you killed $wgStyleDirectory
>> (we provide them in pairs)
>
> If you're on Windows XP, you could just use completely separate copies
> of MediaWiki, maybe with a deployment script to manage them. If you're
> on Windows Vista or Server 2008, symlinks are supported and you can
> use the same solutions as on Unix.

I know. I could also have a unix box with a fat filesystem just for the
sake of not having symlinks available ;)
The only reason I think one would want to would be to provide a
completely different set of skins without touching mediawiki tree and
not as extensions.
If $wgStyleDirectory is to be removed, seems a good time to also remove
its directory listing and store it in DefaultSettings intead.

> $wgStyle[Sheet]Path is a lot more useful than $wgStyleDirectory. We
> used it during the 1.5 upgrade on Wikimedia, to allow MW 1.4 and 1.5
> to run on the cluster simultaneously, with skins-1.4 mapped to the 1.4
> skins directory, and skins-1.5 mapped to the 1.5 skins directory. And
> we use it now to implement bits.wikimedia.org. It's not going to rot
> while it's in use on Wikimedia.

*Nod*. I was pointing out that we usually have one file path variable
for each web path one.