2010/12/3 Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org>:
> There's some release planning issues that we have to sort out:
> 1.  When will we branch 1.17?
Soon, IMO. Branching sooner means stabilizing sooner means releasing
and deploying sooner. I don't think there's anything major we want to
add to 1.17, right? It's a pretty big release already.

> Trevor and Roan believe that ResourceLoader will be ready to deploy in
> January.  However, looking at the backlog of code reviews, and I don't
> think it's realistic to assume we'll have everything else ready in
> January.  My assumption here is that we need to be through the code
> review backlog prior to pushing what is currently in trunk into
> production.  Simply extrapolating from the October/November rate of
> code review, March is looking more like the target, and that assumes
> we keep up the rapid pace of review.  What seems realistic without
> being complacent?

Are you accounting for the fact that the review rate is currently
being depressed by new revisions being added all the time? Branching
would reduce that effect (not eliminate it, because we'd still pull
fixes in for stabilization). In addition to that, if we'd have a few
paid devs devoting their time to doing review and other things needed
to get 1.17 into shape (WMF-employed reviewers are mostly focusing on
their assigned projects now AFAICT) I think we can definitely finish
before March.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)