Niklas Laxström wrote:
> This suggestion seems to come up from time to time. I feel it is
> unrealistic. First of all we can't remove them from svn, since they
> have to be there. We could remove them from the tarballs, but please,
> last time I checked the tarball was hardly over 12 megs. Even with
> very slow modem it should take an hour at most to download that. Using
> better compression algorithm would likely shrink it as much as
> removing few languages. The minor languages don't even take as much
> space as the major languages, which usually have more complete
> localisation.
>
> Drawing the line is not easy and would likely cause continuous,
> unnecessary contention, put some languages in a privileged position
> and hurt MediaWiki's top notch i18n and l10n support. Each language is
> special, but you don't see that if you just look at the number of
> speakers. Do we really want hurt one of our greatest advantages?
>
> Besides, it feels silly to talk about this, while we simultaneously
> talk about including some of the most common extensions in the name of
> providing feature complete MediaWiki straight from the box--which is a
> goal I agree with.
>
>  -Niklas

A few days ago the issue came up where I was talking with an end user
who was complaining about MediaWiki being too large (in the server, not
in the tarball) compared to other apps like wordpress.
I think there's a use case for providing a mediawiki download where the
end user can check which languages they want and provide a custom download.
And/or document how to strip some languages from mediawiki.