I've been inspired by the discussion David Gerard and Brion Vibber
kicked off, and I think they are headed in the right direction.

But I just want to ask a separate, but related question.

Let's imagine you wanted to start a rival to Wikipedia. Assume that you
are motivated by money, and that venture capitalists promise you can be
paid gazillions of dollars if you can do one, or many, of the following:

1 - Become a more attractive home to the WP editors. Get them to work on
your content.

2 - Take the free content from WP, and use it in this new system. But
make it much better, in a way Wikipedia can't match.

3 - Attract even more readers, or perhaps a niche group of
super-passionate readers that you can use to build a new community.

In other words, if you had no legacy, and just wanted to build something
from zero, how would you go about creating an innovation that was
disruptive to Wikipedia, in fact something that made Wikipedia look like
Friendster or Myspace compared to Facebook?

And there's a followup question to this -- but you're all smart people
and can guess what it is.

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar (   <ne...@wikimedia.org>