On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Dirk Riehle <d...@riehle.org> wrote:

>  As long as we're hung up on details of the markup syntax, it's going to be
>> very very hard to make useful forward motion on things that are actually
>> going to enhance the capabilities of the system and put creative power in
>> the hands of the users.
>>
>> Forget about syntax -- what do we want to *accomplish*?
>>

> I think you got this sideways. The concrete syntax doesn't matter, but the
> abstract syntax does. Without a clear specification no competing parsers, no
> interoperability, no decoupling APIs, no independently evolving components.
>
> (Abstract syntax here means "XML representation" or structured
> representation or DOM tree i.e. an abstract syntax tree. But for that you
> need a language i.e. Wikitext specification and an implementation of a
> parser as of today doesn't do the job.)

[snip]

> In order to have a visual editor or three, combined with a plain text
> editor, combined with some fancy other editor we have yet to invent, you
> will still need that specification that tells you what a valid wiki instance
> is. This is the core data; only if you have a clear spec of that can you
> have tool and UI innovation on top of that.

Exactly my point -- spending time tinkering with
sortof-human-readable-but-not-powerful-enough syntax distracts from thinking
about what needs to be *described* in the data... which is the important
thing needed when devising an actual storage or interchange format.

Wikis started out as *very* lightly formatted plaintext. The point was to be
fast and easy -- in the context of web browsers which only offered plaintext
editing, lightweight markup for bold/italics and a standard convention for
link naming was about as close as you could get to WYSIWYG / WYSIYM.

As browsers have modernised and now offer pretty decent rich-text editing in
native HTML, web apps can actually make use of that to provide formatting &
embedding of images and other structural elements. In this context, why
should we spend more than 10 seconds thinking about how to devise a syntax
for links or tables? We already have a perfectly good language for this
stuff, which is machine-parseable: HTML. (Serialize it as XML to make it
even more machine-friendly!)

If the web browsers of 1995 had had native HTML editing, I rather suspect
there would never have been series-of-single-quotes to represent italics and
bold...

-- brion