2011/1/18 Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org>:
> On 18/01/11 07:41, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
>> And i don't know what to do when in the Lithuanian Wikipedia you sort
>> names of places in the UK - should Islington come before or after
>> York?
>
> Before.
>
>> $collator = new Collator('lt')
>> print $collator->compare( 'Islington', 'York' )
> -1
>
> But more interestingly, York goes before London:
>
>> print $collator->compare( 'York', 'London' )
> -1

'York' before 'London' makes sense in lt context, but 'York' before
'Islington' is weird, because to the best of my understanding, it's
supposed to be sorted as if it was written 'Iork'.

A dictionary that i have at home puts 'ylaragis' before 'įlašeti'.

> I think attempting to do it any other way would be a lot of trouble,
> and not what is wanted anyway. To put the question another way: on the
> English Wikipedia, should Kybartai sort before Klaipėda? I would think
> not.

The intuitive answer is that in en.wikipedia Kybartai should usually
be after Klaipėda, although some clever sorting is desirable. Even
more so for Wiktionary.

For lt.wikipedia, this is something that its editors and readers should decide.