Roan Kattouw wrote:
> 2011/1/21 Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com>:
>> If we wanted to map it to a page/revision format, it seems quite
>> straightforward. I'm missing something, right?
>>
> You're missing that migrating a live site (esp. Commons, with 8
> million image rows and ~750k oldimage rows) from the old to the new
> schema would be a nightmare, and would probably involve setting stuff
> to read-only for a few hours.
>
> Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Do we agree in the target db schema?
That's the important point.

Migrating a large site like commons is 'just' an operations issue.
Making it readonly a bit wouldn't be a big issue, but could also for
instance move to an intermediate point, where uploads are stored in both
formats, while read only in the old one, while a script is moving
records. Finally, flip the switch and drop the old tables.