On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:05 PM, OQ <overlo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> You're talking about hotlinking, right? Looking at the page source of
>> channelsurfing.net, they're clearly hotlinking quite a bit. But as David
>> notes, we generally encourage our content to be spread and used.
>
> I particularly enjoyed the part that their header is hotlinked and
> hosted on commons.
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cslogo.gif
>
> Seems like thats definitively using commons as their image host.

I think that's an abuse of Commons, and someone (OQ?) seems to have
started a deletion request for that (also, you might want to grab and
AFD nominate the other header that the same account uploaded, for
another part of the site...).

If they're linking to images we legitimately host and which meet our
image guidelines, are used in WP or other WMF projects, etc, then ...
Shrug.  I didn't realize we were ok with hotlinking like that, but if
that's the published policy, that's the published policy.

--
-george william herbert
george.herb...@gmail.com