<jida...@jidanni.org> wrote in message news:87mxmwfie4.fsf...@jidanni.org...
> C> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Happy-melon <happy-me...@live.com>
> wrote:
>>> Isn't that what release notes are for?
>
> Say, how do you pros see what changed?
> Here is my extra stupid way. I do it every few weeks.
>
> cp RELEASE-NOTES /tmp
> svn update
> diff --ignore-space-change -U0 /tmp RELEASE-NOTES
>
> Often old lines are shown again, because somebody tidied their
> formatting. A svn diff wouldn't be any better.
>
> The worst thing is each 1.17 to 1.18, 1.18 to 1.19 change, when the
> whole file changes.
>
> So how do you folks track RELEASE-NOTES level changes (not source code
> level changes, too many), coinciding with your SVN updates?

One generally gets information out of a release notes file by reading it.
The purpose of release notes is to be a list of changes between versions; if
I want to upgrade from 1.15 to 1.17, I read the 1.16 and 1.17 release notes,
and I know all the changes I should be expecting.  Why would I want the 1.16
release notes to contain changes which do not affect 1.16?

If you are determined to deploy bleeding-edge code on production sites, you
will need to be a little more adventurous in getting hold of the latest
changes.  You can go to [1] and select the latest revision, and the last
revision you checked out, and read the diff in a slightly prettier format.
Pretty much by definition, there isn't a nicer way of reading them.

--HM

[1] http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/RELEASE-NOTES