2011/1/29 Krinkle <krinklem...@gmail.com>:
> Op 29 jan 2011, om 17:29 heeft MZMcBride het volgende geschreven:
> Compare the following two pages (when logged out):
>
> * http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A-gunner.gif
> * http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A-gunner.svg

A nice example. A couple of others:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Spider_internal_anatomy-en.svg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cross_section_jellyfish_en_%28edit%29.svg

These and many other SVG illustrations are included in the main
article in a size that's too small to read. Clicking an image is the
standard way that users are taught to enlarge images.

While a chequered background can be useful to visualize the alpha
channel, we can reasonably posit for a general reference source like
Wikipedia that the vast majority of users who enlarge images like the
above do so to inspect details of the image, not to assess secondary
image characteristics like file format or alpha channel, and indeed
many of them likely have no understanding why the background is there
to begin with. For those users the chequered background is simply
useless noise.

The same is likely to apply in many (although of course not in all)
contexts of third party MediaWiki use. A simple "show/hide
transparency" toggle for media with an alpha channel would be a nice
standard solution. Defaults for a media repository like Wikimedia
Commons could reasonably differ from those for a general reference
source like Wikipedia, as typical user intentions are likely
different.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation