On 11-03-22 07:46 PM, Tim Starling wrote:
> [...]
> If we split up the extensions directory, each extension having its own
> repository, then this will discourage developers from updating the
> extensions in bulk. This affects both interface changes and general
> code maintenance. I'm sure translatewiki.net can set up a script to do
> the necessary 400 commits per day, but I'm not sure if every developer
> who wants to fix unused variables or change a core/extension interface
> will want to do the same.
>
> [...]
> -- Tim Starling
This is why rather than building a tw specific tool, or using git
submodules, I believe we should create our own generic set of scripts
for working with the extension repos all at once.
We can either put these scripts inside of a git repo we would have put
submodules inside of, or we could make them part of MediaWiki itself so
that anyone with a copy of mw and git installed on their server can also
use it to download and update extensions (well, perhaps till we create
our own scripts for managing extensions).

Doing that should give every normal developer the ability to check out
every extension all at once, just what extensions they want, update all
the ones they have checked out, and make mass commits for code maintenance.
Once we do that, there's no reason that working with 400 git repos has
to be any more awkward for anyone than working with 400 svn directories.
We can also try to make it play nice with a mix of master and release
branched code and make it easy to switch (from my experience svn with
different base directories was a bit messy).