On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Michael Dale <md...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Very cool. Especially given the development trajectory of Ace to become
> the "eclipse" of web IDEs there will be a lot of interesting
> possibilities as we could develop our own mediaWiki centric plugins for
> the platform.
>
> I can't help but think about where this is ideally headed ;)
>
> A gitorius type system for easy branching with mediaWiki.org code review
> style tools, with in browser editing. With seemless workflows for going
> from per user developing and testing on the live site, to commits to
> your personal repository, to being reviewed and tested by other
> developers, to being enabled by interested users, to being enabled by
> default if so desired.

[snip lots of awesome sauce]

I, for one, welcome our new integrated development overlords! :D I started
up a page of notes and smaller steps on the road to awesomeness which we can
start expanding on:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gadget_Studio

The main things I want to hit in the immediate future are syntax
highlighting (including clear detection of parse errors, which I don't think
Ace does yet) for editing gadgets and site & user scripts. For the upcoming
parser stuff we'll want to do lots of experiments, and rapid prototyping the
JavaScript-side implementations seems like a good way to get stuff into
preliminary testing quickly, so being able to tweak code and immediately
re-run it on something is going to be nice.

I like the idea of being able to work on a core or extension JS module
"in-place" too though, that could be interesting. :) Not everything will be
amenable to being reloaded in the middle of a page view, but things that are
could benefit from that kind of testing turnover.

-- brion