On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org>wrote:
>
>> I don't think that's a fundamental problem, I think it's a quick hack
>> added to reduce the development time devoted to rare wikitext
>> constructs, while maintaining round-trip safety. Like you said further
>> down in your post, it can be handled more elegantly by replacing the
>> complex code with a placeholder. Why not just do that?
>>

> Excellent question -- how hard would it be to change that?
>
> I'm fairly sure that's easier to do with an abstract parse tree generated
> from source (don't recognize it? stash it in a dedicated blob); I worry it
> may be harder trying to stash that into the middle of a multi-level HTML
> translation engine that wasn't meant to be reversible in the first place (do
> we even know if there's an opportunity to recognize the problem component
> within the annotated HTML or not? Is it seeing things it doesn't recognize
> in the HTML, or is it seeing certain structures in the source and aborting
> before it even gets there?).
>
> Like many such things, this might be better resolved by trying it and
> seeing what happens -- I don't want us to lock into a strategy too early
> when a lot of ideas are still unresolved.

Had a quick chat with Tim in IRC -- we're definitely going to try poking at
the current state of the Wikia RTE a bit more.

I'll start merging it to our extensions SVN so we've got a stable clone of
it that can be run on stock trunk. Little changes should be mergable back to
Wikia's SVN, and we'll have something available for stock distributions
that's more stable than the old FCK extension, and that we can start
experimenting with along with other stuff.

Another good thing in this code is the client-side editor plugins; once one
gets past the raw "shove stuff in/out of the markup format" most of the hard
work and value of an editor actually comes in the helpers for working with
links, images, tables, galleries, etc -- dialogs, wizards, helpers for
dragging things around. That's all stuff that we can examine and improve or
base from.

-- brion