* Tod <listac...@gmail.com> [Mon, 09 May 2011 09:08:43 -0400]:
> Is there an IDE that the MW developer community has settled on and can
> recommend?
>
> tip-toeing softly away from the list....

Lots of MediaWiki source files contain the following lines:

if (!defined('MEDIAWIKI')) {
        // Eclipse helper - will be ignored in production
        require_once (...);
}

Lots of another files has such signature:
/* vim: set expandtab tabstop=4 shiftwidth=4: */

So I guess that's the answer - vim and eclipse.

I use Notepad++ in Windows and gedit in Linux - although I am not a
major developer. Eclipse looks too bloated to me, vim is fast but hard
because it has contexts - one has to get used to it. Maybe someday.

Dmitriy