On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Jay Ashworth <j...@baylink.com> wrote:
> They're not the same page.  Wikipedia page titles are case sensitive -- except
> that the first character is forced to upper case by the engine.
>
> Does that search not return both?  Why would we have both?

Like you said, the system is case sensitive. These redirects are
created because the software doesn't handle case changes correctly
otherwise. For example the following link leads to a "no such page"
error because the appropriate redirect does not exist:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_heights,_Michigan .

It would be possible to code around this, so that the redirects would
be simulated if they don't exist, but it hasn't happened.  In
practice, people like me like to type a title in all lower case, and
so we have redirects to make it work.

- Carl