User "Bryan" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r85635.

Full URL:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/mediawiki/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/85635#c16867
Commit summary:

First part of bug 22881: Allow uploading directly into the archive to support
importing files. Based on a patch by Vitaliy Filippov with some major rewrites
by me.
* LocalFile::publish() supports an extra parameter to support publishing into
the archive
* Added OldLocalFile::uploadOld(), which is the OldImage equivalent to
LocalFile::upload(), but does not override it because it has an entirely
different function signature.

Comment:

I don't see how it belongs in the File base class, because File does not know
about the distinction between new and old files. The hierarchy which associates
old files with new files is made in LocalFile and its descendants.

I originally had the idea to put publish() directly into OldLocalFile, but that
doesn't play nice with declaration compatibility either. Any ideas?