John Vandenberg wrote:
> from foundation-l thread "[Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]"
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Casey Brown <li...@caseybrown.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Lodewijk <lodew...@effeietsanders.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Of course
>>> unless someone finds a way to redirect en.wikipedia.org/Example to
>>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example .
>>
>> "Did you mean to type http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example? You will
>> be automatically redirected there in five seconds."
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> It already redirects there, though we don't want to advertise that we
>> have a "link shortener" because the 404 page redirects.
>
> Is there a good reason for us to always include the '/wiki/' in the URL?
> Removing the prefix would save five characters, and I'm guessing that
> it would also save a measurable amount of traffic serving 5KB 404
> pages.
>
> Is there something else on these virtual hosts other than a few
> regexes which are extremely unlikely to be used as page names (i.e.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_in_site_root_directory

Changing the URL structure is a big deal. There's been discussion about
switching "/wiki/" to "/view/" if $wgActionPaths are implemented on
Wikimedia wikis at some point, but I don't think putting article titles in
the root directory is ever going to happen.

MZMcBride