On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Niklas Laxström
<niklas.laxst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't we just add the numbers to html and let JavaScript make
> sense out of them?

We can't put the numbers in any form in the parser cache, because
they'll become outdated as soon as the length of the linked page
changes.  The only way to use the parser cache is to put some marker
in it which is substituted for the appropriate page's length when the
parser cache entry is retrieved and displayed.  Once we're doing that,
we may as well also check the user's pref and add a class depending on
it, so we don't have to do anything in JS.

Even if we solve this for parser cache, of course, it won't work for
Squid cache.  Anons are never going to get nonzero stub thresholds.