User "Brion VIBBER" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r87292.

Full URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/87292#c17787
Commit summary:

* (bug 20468) User::invalidateCache throws 1205: Lock wait timeout exceeded

Severly limit the number of calls that actually update the database (for no
gain!). Leaving stuff that needs to update memcached

Still, there's probably quite a lot of these calls which are still superfluous

Comment:

At bug triage meeting a few weeks ago I think we tossed around the idea of
having a regular report that trawls the error logs on the server and reports
error counts by error type, maybe on a daily basis. Did this ever make it to
ops & production? This really needs to be a standard thing that we always have
access to.