On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.katt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> You're willing to say there are exactly *zero* fixes that would be
>> needed to be done in trunk and merged into 1.18 as a result of making
>> this change?
>>
> I guess the worst that could happen is that one of the bundled
> extension breaks core in some way, in which case it's slightly worse
> because we bundle the extension. Other than that, core is unaffected.

This.

>> I'm not going to dig my heels in on this one.  However, I'd really
>> like to encourage everyone to avoid piling non-critical into a release
>> branch after it gets branched, and have the patience to wait for the
>> following release.  That's the only way we're ever going to speed up
>> the release train.
>>
> I'm not particularly attached to it, and I think we can wait till 1.19
> if we want to. I just didn't think your arguments made much sense.

Also this. I think it's a good idea, but not worth putting aside 1.17 or
1.18 work to make it happen. Even if it didn't happen until 1.20, I
don't think it'd be a huge deal...we'd just be maintaining the status quo.

In the long run, I think it makes zero difference whatsoever, as once
Real Extension Management becomes a reality, it shouldn't matter at
all whether the extension was in the tarball or not--and in fact, I would
argue we should keep them *out* of the tarball at that point, to keep
download size to a minimum and since hopefully installing extensions
would've become painless.

-Chad