User "Tim Starling" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r89252.

Full URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/89252#c17887
Commit summary:

* MFT r89250. only the tableExists function ad 1.17 already supports
user-dbname difference

Comment:

It's easier to add a $this->addQuotes() than to confirm that it is secure by
following the data flow in every place where it is used and confirming that
there's no way for user input to find its way into this function. That's why
our security policy is to always escape, regardless of the data source.

As for the release notes, I'm asking if there is some user-visible consequence
of fixing tableExists(). For instance, does it avoid an error message on
install or upgrade?