User "Reedy" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r75343.

Full URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/75343#c18279
Commit summary:

(bug 24853) Kill failFunction - Fixed! :D

Comment:

Surely it's more likely to have actually been r75341?

<source lang="php">
-                       if ( $this->mFailFunction ) {
-                               $conn->failFunction( $this->mFailFunction );
-                               $conn->reportConnectionError( $this->mLastError
);
-                       } else {
-                               // If all servers were busy, mLastError will
contain something sensible
-                               throw new DBConnectionError( $conn,
$this->mLastError );
+                       // If all servers were busy, mLastError will contain
something sensible
+                       throw new DBConnectionError( $conn, $this->mLastError );
</source>

And unless I'm missing something, it seems rare/I'm struggling to see where it
wasn't set to false, and hence, would have actually have been called
somewhere...