On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Neil Kandalgaonkar <ne...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> That's interesting. Your SVG file seems to be hand-edited, using xlink
> and entities so the repetitive elements, like the court, are only
> defined once. It's clever.
>
> Your SVG renders fine (directly) in Chrome, Firefox & Inkscape for me.
> However, maybe these entities are screwing things up somehow when
> converted.
>
> I find that I can't convert the file to any other format either, when
> using ImageMagick (Mac OS X /usr/bin/convert); I get only parts of your
> drawing, although not the same ones as what we see on Commons. Even
> InkScape doesn't convert it right, I get overlapping text or worse.

In production we use librsvg to convert; not sure how convenient this is to
build on Mac OS X (it may be in fink/macports/brew/etc but prepare to
recompile glib, cairo etc) but 'apt-get install librsvg2-bin' works wonders
on Ubuntu. :)

I can reproduce the production failure locally, with librsvg 2.3.1-0ubuntu3.
At 160x320 it renders fully as expected; at 159x318 I get only the first
court in the upper-left, with no text or other bits. No error messages
visible.

Example command line:
$ rsvg -w 160 -h 320 Badminton_court_legal_bounds.svg 160.png

May need to file this in the upstream Gnome bug tracker:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org

Latest release of librsvg appears to be 2.34.0, so this (and many other
rendering issues noted in our own bug tracker!) should be retested against
that release as well as whatever we currently have in production.

> Not sure where the bug is. It might be that your SVG code has a bug
> which makes it subtly difficult to convert, or perhaps you are just
> using features or SVG that are poorly supported in renderers.

There doesn't *seem* to be anything terribly complex about it for rendering
purposes; Inkscape only seems to be confused with the text wrapping (though
since the only visible top-level element is a single opaque <use> reference
you can't really edit it very easily. :)

In particular since it renders as expected above 160px, I wonder if it's
some weird low-level bug rendering bug where at some point something goes
wrong trying to make some line or bit of text that's smaller than a certain
amount, and nothing more ever gets rendered to the raster canvas before it
gets saved out.

-- brion