User "Brion VIBBER" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r92124.

Full URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/92124#c19599
Commit summary:

(bug 26360) $wgSessionHandler was overriding system settings unconditionally.
Regression I introduced a little over 2 years ago with r49370.

Comment:

r49370 preserved the previous behavior by default (force the setting to 'files'
unless we're using $wgSessionsInMemcached) which had been deliberately selected
several years ago, so I don't see how it was a regression.

(We chose to force it to 'files' because there were complaints of some servers
where the setting got left at something utterly bizarre by some other app. This
may not be a current issue.)