----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mark A. Hershberger" <mhershber...@wikimedia.org>

> So for example if the user removes the email address, or replaces it
> with another but doesn't verify it, the user rights associated with
> their user group are automatically suspended, until a verified email
> address is provided, when they're automatically re-enabled.
>
> This would be more useful if there are situations where the
> "verified" status of an existing email address can be automatically
> revoked (eg if emails to the user bounce); I'm not sure if that's
> the case but if it isn't that's a separate issue.
>
> I'm fascinated by the idea and can see arguments both ways. I thought
> I'd bring it up here to see if anyone could help me think through it.

I think that what semantics are best for tying email validation to user
rights depends a heckuva lot on what you're using Mediawiki for, myself.

The major specific item has to do with scope of accessibility and
administrative span of control; if those match fairly closely, it's
probably not a big deal.  For Wikipedia, on the other hand...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       j...@baylink.com