Earlier this month, the PHP developer team moved to start soft deprecating
the mysql.so extension via documentation, with a intent to fully
E_DEPRECATED in a later release. [1] Therefore, I thought it would be
appropriate to start a small discussion as to how this should be handled.

At the current moment, MediaWiki is still using these functions in its
DatabaseMysql class. Being a new contributor to MW this came across as odd
as to why no MySQLi implementation was available, so I went ahead and
created one [2] (Patch [3]). Right now it's just another $wgDBtype, how it
should really be integrated is what I want to discuss. Should any
implementation (not necessarily mine) using MySQLi just be another DBType in
the installer perhaps? (Most software I've seen goes this route) Also, at
what point (time or event) do we do away with mysql function support? Also,
are there any performance regressions with MySQLi that we should be aware
about?

[1]:
http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=131031747409271&w=<http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=131031747409271&w=2>
2 <http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=131031747409271&w=2>