On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Uwe Baumbach <u.baumb...@web.de> wrote:

> Concerning your security headache I think it is more comprehensible for
> JavaScript (sandboxes) then for Java, and MediaWiki is "swimming" in
> JavaScript. But ultimate decision makes the user.

I'm not sure what you think "my" security headache is -- I'm talking about
browser and OS makers disabling the Java plugin or failing to install Java
in the first place. One of the reasons sometimes given is that the
single-vendor Sun/Oracle JRE has a history of security vulnerabilities that
are not present in browsers otherwise. (Similar concerns exist for Adobe
Flash, another single-vendor plugin with a history of security
vulnerabilities that are not present in browsers otherwise.) Most of the
major browsers have their own JavaScript implementations, which is a
healthier ecosystem to begin with, and more importantly allows each OS or
browser vendor to actually ship fixes. ;)

-- brion