Rob Lanphier wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> I've been asked a few times recently about doing reports of the most-viewed
>> pages per month/per day/per year/etc. A few years after Domas first started
>> publishing this information in raw form, the current situation seems rather
>> bleak. Henrik has a visualization tool with a very simple JSON API behind it
>> (<http://stats.grok.se>), but other than that, I don't know of any efforts
>> to put this data into a database.
>> [...]
>> A lot of people were waiting on Wikimedia's Open Web Analytics work to come
>> to fruition, but it seems that has been indefinitely put on hold. (Is that
>> right?)
>
> That's correct.  I owe everyone a longer writeup of our change in
> direction on that project which I have the raw notes for.

Okay. Please be sure to copy this list on that write-up. :-)

> The short answer is that we've been having a tough time hiring the
> people we'd have do this work.  Here are the two job descriptions:
> http://wikimedia.org/wiki/Job_openings/Software_Developer_Backend
> http://wikimedia.org/wiki/Job_openings/Systems_Engineer_-_Data_Analytics

As someone with most of the skills and resources (with the exception of
time, possibly) to create a page view stats database, reading something like
this makes me think it's not the worth the effort on my part, iff Wikimedia
is planning on devoting actual resources to the endeavor. Is that a
reasonable conclusion to draw? Is it unreasonable?

MZMcBride