On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Jack Phoenix <j...@countervandalism.net> wrote:
> Essentially I'd like to see all major third-party users contributing code to
> the upstream version of MediaWiki and everyone keeping their copies of
> MediaWiki on the official MediaWiki Subversion repository at
> svn.wikimedia.org. Maybe we could have a branch for each third party under
> /mediawiki/branches/ or if that's unacceptable, then maybe even a whole new
> repository (like how we currently have mediawiki, mysql, pywikipedia and
> wikimedia -- see http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc), although I must admit
> that it sounds a bit overkill to me.
I don't think separate branches would even be needed after all that
long, for example at the start just so they get a feel for our SVN and
CodeReview methods and to work out what their differences are (and
progressively interworking their work into the main trunk)  but after
a while they would most likely be committing their patches straight to
core if they are "sane" (as in usable to a variety of people) so it
would just be little local "live" hacks that would be different (if
they are even needed at all).