On 20 August 2011 21:01, Jay Ashworth <j...@baylink.com> wrote:

> +25.  I had to pull the book citation template out of Wikipedia to use it
> on a Wikia site, and it was a 2 hour process.

Yes. Speaking as a MediaWiki tarball user (at work), this doesn't
require a fork (as Fred contemplates) - it just needs an extra
tarball, or maybe an XML export file of importable templates, or maybe
both (necessary extensions plus template XML).

This discussion has also come up on one of the technical lists - a
"light" MW tarball, and a tarball with the extensions one would expect
to see on Wikipedia included. Including a standard template set would
fit right in with that.

This discussion may belong on wikitech-l or mediawiki-l ...

- d.