User "Mdale" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r84395.

Full URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/84395#c22199
Commit summary:

(bug 27641) purgeThumbnails should support exclusion of expensive files. Add
$wgExcludeFromThumbnailPurge and don't purge thumbnails whose extension is in
that array when the files they belong to are purged with action=purge.
Committing patch by Michael Dale with small coding style tweaks

Comment:

right.... I don't think its that "bad", its essentially just representing a
property of file extension via a global instead of through its media handler.
Other file extension properties are represented in globals.

At any rate as mentioned below, if we can get this into 1.18 / part of next
deployment update, and we swap in the new code at the same time. I am all for
it!