2011/9/11 Kirill Krasnov <krasnovfo...@gmail.com>:
> Hi, John.
>
> You wrote Sunday, September 11, 2011, 8:38:07 PM:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks
>
>> 2011/9/11 Краснов Кирилл <krasnovfo...@gmail.com>
>
>>> Sorry, what is sep11.wikipedia.org? Is it project Wikipedia Org?
>>> Why not domain jan01.wikipedia.org, mar08.wikipedia.org, etc?
>
> Why not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_hostage_crisis ?
>
> Sorry for my badly english. I translate with google next text:
>
> I honor the memory of all victims of this tragic day. I express my
> condolences to all relatives and friends who lost loved ones. But
> Wikipedia is an international project, which should equally take into
> account all the rights and freedoms of people around the world.
> What a tragedy of September 11 terrorist attack other notable terrorist
> attacks? Why for that date, there is a subdomain Wikipedia, and for
> other important dates, no? Why not make a date on every terrorist
> attack? For example, in Norway
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks ?
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kirill
> http://www.kraeg.ru/

Kirill,

The Sept. 11 wiki is closed now. But it was set up very early in
Wikipedia's history, before we had really figured out how huge and
international Wikipedia would be (and before we started using the
"Wikimedia" name). First, as Finne says, there were lots of entries
created on the English Wikipedia that weren't strictly "encyclopedic",
so a separate subdomain was created for them. Then, a few years later
after discussion about whether such a project was really appropriate
for Wikimedia, the wiki was closed, and later the content was moved
over to the Internet Archive and elsewhere. We kept the link as a
redirect simply for historical preservation purposes :) You can read
more on meta: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sep11wiki

As a historical note, I believe the 9/11 attacks were one of the first
times that the Wikipedia community really responded by writing
articles in real-time, a phenomena that has become one of our
extraordinary hallmarks as a project in the last ten years.

best,
-- phoebe