Since the primary use case here seems to be offline analysis and it may not
be of much interest to mediawiki users outside of wmf, can we store the
checksums in new tables (i.e. revision_sha1) instead of running large
alters, and implement the code to generate checksums on new edits via an
extension?

Checksums for most old revs can be generated offline and populated before
the extension goes live.  Since nothing will be using the new table yet,
there'd be no issues with things like gap lock contention on the revision
table from mass populating it.