Nikola Smolenski <smole...@eunet.rs> writes:

> 3) And the big one, security. It has not been shown that any of the
> proposed implementations is secure. I was thinking that perhaps a way to
> overcome this would be to have a dedicated system just for handling
> music rendering.

We don't want to "overcome" any security problems.  This open source
software: If we know of a security problem, we want to eliminate it.

But yes, your idea of "only accepting notes" is a good one.  From what
I've seen, the Lilypond extension seems to accept arbitrary LaTeX, but I
haven't looked too closely.

The main problem I see is that developer interest in bug 189 needs to be
bootstraped.  Bug 189 has 115 comments, over 50 of them before 2009.
But other than a burst of activity in 2007 for Lilypond and second burst
in 2008 for ABC, actual development effort to get music on WMF projects
has laid largely dormant.

So, how can we change this?

I think one way would be to provide the Wikisource community with wiki
on which to try out the Music module and give us feedback about how they
work while allowing us to develop them and fix the security problems.

I'm planning on setting up a MW instance with Lilypond and/or ABC using
Wikipedia Labs.  I think we could use the FileRepo to point to source
pages like
http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Datei:De_Schauenburg_Allgemeines_Deutsches_Kommersbuch_138.jpg
and editors could start providing a transcription of the pages.

What do you think?

Mark.