User "Pgehres (WMF)" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r99802.

Full URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/99802#c25214
Commit summary:

Intial commit of Extension:FundraiserLandingPage

Comment:

In re performance, my understanding is that we planned to cache it. Clearly I
missed something that is preventing this page from being cached then?

The extension would be deployed on donate.wikimedia.org which will also have
$wgRawHtml enabled.  We are aware of the issue with the templates, but user
accounts on donate.wikimedia.org are meant to be heavily restricted to only
those people who need it for the fundraiser.  Am I correct in my thinking that
this is an underlying issue with $wgRawHtml and that this extension does not
exacerbate the vulnerability?

The problem that we are trying to solve is indeed the number of pages that have
to be created for this year's fundraiser.  Last year there was not much of a
push for localization, but this year we are attempting, with the GlobalCollect
integration, to be able to accept as many currencies and payment methods as
possible.  Each of these will need to be localized by country depending on what
is available there.  Our intent here was to break the landing pages into two
major sections, the appeal and the form.  If we can localize a form or set of
forms once for each country, and easily swap out the appeal with the extension,
we can avoid having to make another static page for each combination of form
and template.

Doing A/B testing for each of the ~200 countries for payment methods would
result in ~400 pages per appeal version (we are often also wanting to test
subtle changes in appeals).  This extension would allow us to create the 400
forms and then just swap out the appeals as we desired.  Additionally, we could
do the same type of swapping for any part of the landing page template if we
desired.

-- Peter Gehres