On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ryan Lane wrote:
>> https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>> Just a suggestion ;)
>>
>> - Ryan
>
> 1) This is the first time it is mentioned in this mailing list.

It isn't the first time labs has been. I was suggesting labs, not the
console. I was replying to Chad, and he has seen the console, so he
likely understood what I meant perfectly well.

> 1b) Not even mentioned in the Server Admin Log.

Meh. I don't log every single thing I do. It's in the git log for the
puppet repo, at minimum.

> 2) It has a funny concept of "you have an account"

In what way? I'm giving out accounts to people slowly, over time. It's
in kind of closed beta mode right now. Basically, if you ask for an
account, you get one.

> 3) Public IPs are private

This is the way that OpenStack Nova works. If a public IP hasn't been
assigned to the instance yet, then the private IP is also considered
the public IP. bastion.wmflabs.org, for instance has a legitimate
public IP, with a legitimate public DNS entry.

> 4) Instances don't seem to be on wmf dns, despite statements of "ssh
> <nameofinstance>" and "adding wmflabs domain in DNS"

That is not true. I'm running powerdns on virt1.wikimedia.org with an
LDAP backend.

All instances are in DNS when they are created, automatically. That is
private DNS, though. Instance "test" would be "test.pmtpa.wmflabs".
It's possible to SSH from a bastion host to all private hosts.

It's possible to add public DNS entries to public IP addresses, then
associate that public IP address to an instance.

If you've ever used EC2, the way this works is similar. The
terminology is exactly the same.

> 5) Reading the git instructions make me feel sick

Well, let's give you an account, and you can fix it.

> 6) The RSA key (dc:e9:68:7b:99:1b:27:d0:f9:fd:ce:6a:2e:bf:92:e1?) is not
> listed

RSA key for what? Why would it need to be listed anywhere? Maybe
listing the RSA keys for hosts with public IPs is a good idea...

> 7) Why is there a unicorn ?

Because this is the place for magic to happen.

- Ryan