On 11/12/11 7:36 PM, Platonides wrote:
> Forwarding geni reply at commons-l.
>
>> On 12/11/11 16:00, geni wrote:
>>> On 12 November 2011 14:34, David Gerard<dger...@gmail.com>   wrote:

Thank you David.  I didn't know about Yet Another Technical List.

Silly assumption.  Insulting to the folks who create user accounts.

And OTRS isn't mentioned anywhere.

>>> Given the number of people who copy celebrity pics from random places
>>> on the web it does matter.

Do they register user names as the celebrity?

Do they put licenses on the pics stating that they own them?

And do you (geni et alia) call everybody a liar by default?

>>> I'm not seeing a strawman argument.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Straw_man

To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a
proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet
unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without
ever having actually refuted the original position.

>>> In practice the situation can be far more messy with the actual
>>> copyright being potentially split among up  4 different people/groups
>>> (the photographer, the celebrity, the celebrity's management, any show
>>> they happen to be appearing on at the time).

Doubtless.  And you (geni) aren't qualified to decide, as you are not
knowledgeable about any of these facts in any case.

>>> Yann is sticking to the OTRS route which you were trying to sidestep.

Yann made no mention of OTRS.

I sincerely doubt you (geni) have an OTRS ticket for each and every image,
and delete any image without one.

>>> Given that you were arguing at cross purposes there is a reasonable
>>> case to be made that it had no utility.

Stuff and nonsense.  He refused to post the required elements of the
deletion request.  He wrote nothing substantive.

>>> Have business models based on their users breaching copyright on a
>>> massive scale. They are from our point of view only of interest in
>>> terms of what not to do.

Please stop regurgitating tripe.  That's not an accurate description of
their business models -- and probably legally actionable.

They have well-paid lawyers.  Certainly, those (like geni) who refuse to
follow legal requirements are destined to destroy the project.

>>> We are trying to build a free content database. Not a "no one has
>>> gotten around to issuing a DMCA takedown notice yet" database.
>>> Photobucket is that way.

If the Foundation decides it wants to provide the service of
guaranteeing the content is "free" (for some definition of "free"),
then it's also legally liable for failure.

Better to have formal processes that meet legal requirements and
follow precedent.

Heaven forfend that you find any of the politicians whom I got to post
their photos.  They won't take kindly to deletionists.