Hi all,

We've had @wikimediatech accounts on twitter & identica for some time now:
* http://identi.ca/wikimediatech
* https://twitter.com/#!/wikimediatech
that basically broadcast every single action that is logged to the
server admin log:
* http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Server_admin_log

The account has 78 followers on identica and 430 on twitter (probably
counting the spammers).

I'm wondering if there are actually people reading all the stuff
that's pushed through these channels.

My gut feeling is that the few people reading these feeds are also
those that would know to check the SLA if they encountered an issue,
or know how to use the RSS feed of the SLA page if they really wanted
the information in real time.

Meanwhile, we don't really have social media channels dedicated to
Wikimedia tech stuff, i.e. channels where we can actually post stuff,
links, blog posts, outage info, etc and engage with a larger community
of people interested in our tech operations. I feel that the accounts
would be much more useful if we reduced the amount of semi-random
information we post there.

So, I'm basically proposing to repurpose the @wikimediatech accounts for this.

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? You don't care?

--
Guillaume Paumier
Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation