I'm a developer at Wikia. We have a use case for searching through a file's
metadata. This task is challenging now, because the field
Image.img_metadata is a blob.

We propose expanding the metadata field into a new table. We propose the
name image_metadata. It will have three columns: img_name, attribute
(varchar) and value (varchar). It can be joined with Image on img_name.

On the application side, LocalFile's load* and decodeRow methods will have
to be changed to support the new table.

One issue to consider is the file archive. Should we replicate the metadata
table for file archive? Or serialize the data and store it in a new table
(something like fa_metadata)?

Please let us know if you see any issues with this plan. We hope that this
will be useful to the MediaWiki project, and a candidate to merge back.

Thanks,
Will