"Amire80" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r102105.

Commit summary for MediaWiki.r102105:

Adding dir="ltr" to the label, to prevent wrong appearance of the arithmetic
expression.

Amire80's comment:

This was actually discussed in the Standards Institute of Israel (SII) once, in
my presence, and the decision was that it is always left-to-right - but that
only applied to Hebrew. The Arabic textbooks i saw had left-to-right math
expressions, but i obviously didn't see them all. I emailed the relevant SII
discussion list and asked whether anybody knows any details about Arabic.

AFAIK if we remove the space, it will display the expression left-to-right even
if dir="rtl" will be applied to it, because of the '-' character properties. I
don't think that any locales override that, but i might be wrong. So the
display will be left-to-right anyway, but the readability may be reduced -
"10-8" vs. "10 - 8".