* Philip Neustrom <phi...@localwiki.org> [Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:40:55
-0800]:
> Realized I never sent an announcement here.  I think you folks'd be
> really interested in checking out what we've been working on:
>
> http://localwiki.org
>
> We just did our first general-public software release.
>
> There's lots of cool stuff going on.  Having worked on the DavisWiki
> (http://daviswiki.org) code for many, many years [which was a fork of
> MoinMoin], we really relished the opportunity to design a new, modern
> wiki engine without the burden of legacy support.
>
> Cool bits:
>
>   * Everything is stored as HTML5.  We threw out wiki markup.
I am not so sure that threwing out wiki markup is so good thing. It's
more compact (takes less storage space) and allows to format text quite
fast to everyone who is familiar to wiki markup. If you are using HTML5,
that means the extensions (parser functions) has to be implemented as
XML tags, which are quite tiresome to input directly, so the extensions
will probably require visual editor addons. Raw text editing simplifies
implementation of markup extensions, some developers might do not have
enough free time to develop their own visual editor extensions. That's
why raw wikitext can be useful and time-saving.
Dmitriy