On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 18:06:41 -0800, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> On 26/12/11 09:20, Daniel Friesen wrote:
>> The support requests for users with "PHP Fatal error:  Cannot redeclare
>> wfProfileIn()" continue in #mediawiki.
>>
>> My idea on how to fix the issue previously was to include in 1.18.1
>> (whenever we release it) an includes/ProfilerStub.php with something
>> like:
>> <?php wfDeprecated( 'includes/ProfilerStub.php' );
>>
>> So that it would override any dead includes/ProfilerStub.php from an old
>> version of MediaWiki and the bad require_once people still have would
>> just
>> become a no-op and things would continue working.
>
> Sounds good.
>
>> I've been starting to think that in 1.19 we should drop
>> StartProfiler.php
>> altogether.
>>
>> StartProfiler.php simply exists to initiate the profiler. It's
>> basically a
>> LocalSettings.php that runs before LocalSettings.php
>>
>> Back in 1.17 we loaded things in the order:
>> StartProfiler, Defines, AutoLoader, DefaultSettings, LocalSettings
>>
>> However the order we load things now is:
>> Init, AutoLoader, Profiler, Defines, StartProfiler, DefaultSettings,
>> LocalSettings
>>
>> So there is absolutely no extra value to StartProfiler now since it
>> loads
>> directly before our settings and can no longer profile things before the
>> settings.
>
> As long as it's treated like an extension, with a minimum of
> boilerplate PHP code in LocalSettings.php, I think that should be OK.
>
> -- Tim Starling

The typical thing to go into StartProfiler.php for someone who wants to
use it is:
$wgProfiler['class'] = 'Profiler';

;) ie: It's pure config, it's not even php code.

Well, unless you're using StartProfiler.example's method of setting up a
sampling profiler:
if ( !mt_rand( 0, 100 ) ) {
     $wgProfiler['class'] = 'Profiler';
} else {
     $wgProfiler['class'] = 'ProfilerStub';
}

We could try to simplify those kind of common cases.