My inclination is to get rid of the feature for pretty much the reason you
mentioned.

In any case, is the point to avoid notices getting added to HTML for wikis
with certain extensions? I don't know why a production site would be set to
spew notices. Either error log settings or $wgDevelopmentWarnings can handle
this. If it's to avoid them in the log, again, $wgDevelopmentWarnings works.

IMO, the notices are most useful for core & extension developers testing
their code (who deliberately let all warnings get spewed out). If the dev
has time to work other extensions, and has the affected one enabled on the
same test wikis that have other extensions being worked on, *then* it might
be useful to hide certain warnings. However, it seems better to just delay
the deprecation in core a cycle. The use case for the new global just seems
too marginal and it seems pretty awkward and hacky.