"Krinkle" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r107669.

Commit summary for MediaWiki.r107669:

* more specific selectors for wikitable - don't inherit properties to nested
tables which causes various rendering issues
** (bug 30485) Hieroglyphs look scary if embedded in tables with
class="wikitable"
** (bug 33434) math extension: integral expressions display with
boxes/frames/borders

Krinkle's comment:

Using <code>expressions</code> looks hopeful.
<syntaxhighlight lang="css">
/* for all but IE */
#nav ul li.currentpage > a:hover {
  background-color: #eff;
}
</syntaxhighlight>

<syntaxhighlight lang="css">
/* for IE */
* html #nav ul li.currentpage a:hover {
  background-color: expression(/currentpage/.test(this.parentNode.className)?
"#eff" : "#ef0");
}
</syntaxhighlight>
:Source: http://stackoverflow.com/a/1593260/319266

We'd use it to get the classname of
<tt>this.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.className</tt>. However the problem
is indeed getting a sensible fallback. Not to mention the existing styles on
people's wikis, migrating those would become cumbersome.

Perhaps we can simply keep the old behavior (which we've used to date for many
many years) as fallback in IE6 ?