On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On 15/01/12 06:33, MZMcBride wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Skimming <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Action
> >,
> > it seems inevitable that some kind of banner (or "blackout" banner,
> which is
> > apparently equivalent to an extra-large banner) will be implemented.
> >
> > The question becomes: how will this be implemented? I assume some kind of
> > CentralNotice banner with some CSS absolute positioning or something? Is
> > that right? Or will it be part of a separate extension?
>
> I am not aware of any such discussion. I suppose the underlying
> content could be hidden by just overlaying a blackout div with a high
> z-index, but that would cause the content to appear while the site is

I've solved the scroll issue in my fork:
https://test.wikipedia.org/?banner=SOPA_blackout_alt
(fork of https://test.wikipedia.org/?banner=blackout)

Using overflow:hidden on <body> while banner is visible.

 wrote:

> On 15/01/12 06:33, MZMcBride wrote:
> > Primarily I'd like to know if "#siteNotice {display:none !important;}"
> will
> > continue to work. If so, there's no further action that needs to be
> taken.
> > If it's going to be put into a weird extension or something, I'd
> personally
> > favor an edit count check or a "leave me alone" user preference. The
> > regulars really don't need to be bothered by this obnoxiousness.
> >
> > And, click-through banner or not, I think obscuring Special:UserLogin is
> > poor idea.
>
> You should raise this on the wiki. I don't see any discussion there
> about whether logged-in users should be allowed to view the site.

The default behavior taken with central notices is a close button
which will set a cookie. Once the cookie is set, the banner
is no longer shown.

Right now the test-wiki banner is using CentralNotice. However
the overlay is inserted outside #centralNotice due to layout constraints.
(although those could perhaps be worked around)

Krinkle