(I sent this already in reply to another thread but with too narrow topic, and
i think it's important enough to deserve its own. So pls excuse if you already
read this.)
--------

To make the redirect a javascript is not a good idea. At least 2,213,922 users
will never see it

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/?src=search

and maybe way, way more since there are many similar features on any browser or
platform.

Today, virtually NONE of my (many) friends ever noticed something changed,
until i told them.

And even with js, you can see the 'real' page popping up first before the
redirect takes action. It does not feel like 'oops wikipedia is gone !!?' but
more like just another anyyoing advert.

You should do a straightforward real shutdown instead, and deliver a fake 404
with explanation link.
And for several more days.

And yes i would even block editing since this is also alerting people.