Hi Happy Melon,

SecurePoll has been considered for several years now - it is used for most
Wikimedia elections and is a proven system for voting. However, there are
some significant disadvantages to using it for POTY, as it is somewhat
difficult to set up. At this time, SecurePoll does not have an on-wiki
administration console and setting up the wiki-code based galleries is not
friendly for our Round 1 voting.

In Round 1, all the images promoted to featured picture status are voted on
in categories by the community. Last year, the contest has around 800
photos - you can take a look at the Round 1 archive at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010/Galleries.
As far as I'm aware, there's no easy way to replicate that functionality
with SecurePoll, especially without a control panel. (Round 2 has far fewer
pictures.)

SecurePoll does have some features that would be great for the contest.
First of all, it scales well so the whole community could participate. It
can verify the elegibility of a voter and the results are counted. I'm not
a developer, but it might be possible to simply improve SecurePoll to a
format that would work for POTY and other elections in the future.
SecurePoll isn't built out extensively and the documentation is sparse.

I do believe there's potential, but I really don't know how it would work.
Currently, Round 1 is a popular vote (the images with the most votes go on
to Round 2 and users can vote as much as they like) and Round 2 is smaller
and more restricted (only one vote per user, most votes win). Wikimedia has
used different types of voting in the past, so SecurePoll is definitely
something I'd like to find out more about.

Thanks,
Mono

On Sunday, February 5, 2012, Happy Melon <happy.melon.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 February 2012 23:56, Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 05/02/12 00:32, Mono wrote:
>> > This is certainly a "project," but it could be used for every POTY
>> contest,
>> > perhaps some other contests, and it doesn't have to be elaborate.
>> However,
>> > as I said, it would be really great if we could get just a couple
people
>> > who have some experience developing MediaWiki extensions to help
program
>> > this in time for this year's contest.
>> >
>> > If anyone is interested in helping out or would like some more
>> information,
>> > please contact me as soon as possible - anything helps!
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > User:Mono
>>
>> That's a good idea. It is also suitable for new developers getting
>> practise. I can help with this.
>> The most complex bit would be the possible user requirements.
>> Other preferences need to be specified, but its implementation should be
>> straightforward.
>>
>> I think the next step would be gaining feedback and collecting what the
>> extension should do at some page, such as
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ImagePoll
>>

>  Do you need users to be able to vote for any picture on commons, or just
> select from a shortlist gallery?  SecurePoll already allows you to use
full
> wikimarkup in question/option descriptions; you could just put image tags
> in each option and quite easily build a gallery that way.
>
> --HM

Sent from my iPad