I'm still a bit leery of country-based selectors, though a good design may
work. I've added some notes about autocomplete-based selectors here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Universal_Language_Selector_Mobile#Universal_Language_Picker

I have a live mockup:
http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/trunk/mockups/lang-selector/index.html

which does a simple autocomplete search based on language code, local name,
or English name transparently. In my ad-hoc testing, most languages I tried
for came up within two or three characters of the English name (or
English-keyboard-typable local name); this might not be a bad way to go in
a lot of places.

A few issues with country-based anything:

* 'spoken in' vs 'widely spoken in', 'native to', etc means that depending
where you get your data, you might have a hundred languages listed under
'United States' which won't be much more useful.

* country divisions are political minefields: consider 'region' :) (Taiwan
-- country or part of China? Or all of China? Depends who you ask.)

* some languages are not cleanly associated with a country, but sort of
muddle around on the borders between them. With small minority languages
these can add up, again perhaps clogging the user interface with extra
options that we want to expose, but shouldn't be in the way.

* some languages have no territory. Latin? Esperanto? Interlingua? If in a
primarily country-based system, then we have to figure out how to shoehorn
in extra categories.

-- brion