On Mar 3, 2012 2:20 PM, "Antoine Musso" <hashar
<hashar%2b...@free.fr>+<hashar%2b...@free.fr>
wmf <hashar%2b...@free.fr>@
<hashar%2b...@free.fr>free.fr<hashar%2b...@free.fr>>
wrote:

> Le 03/03/12 02:11, John Du Hart a écrit :
>
>> I'm currently investigating alternative bug tracker and project
management
>> software for MediaWiki. To do that I'll be installing some different
>> software on the Labs and importing existing bugs for evaluation by the
>> development team and users.
>

> Hello John,
>
> I beg you to first establish a list of requirements and features we are
looking after.  You do not want to invest any time installing a software we
could dismiss right away just by looking at its specs (see at the bottom of
this mail for examples).

Fair enough. I think what I'm looking for is a bug tracker that is more
easier to use for both developers and users. I would also like tools that
allow us to better visualize progress on bugs and what's fixed or needed
for a released. Finally an API that doesn't suck would be nice

> Let me ask you a question, why do you feel we should move to another bug
tracker?
> Do you think that Bugzilla is missing features we could use?
> For example, maybe some bug tracker also assist in planning release
management.  I know Mantis has a nice interface for that.
> Is that because other tools have a nicer interface? We could probably
enhance the Bugzilla one.

> I am not a huge fan of Bugzilla. It is certainly lagging in terms of neat
features lack reporting and ease of navigation between components. But so
far, Bugzilla seems to fit our needs nicely.

But I'm sure we could do better!

> As for testing there is probably no point in loading our existing bugs
since close to nobody, beside hexmode, know our bugs well enough to take
advantage of it.  Instead we can use some demo accounts or just install a
version for sandboxing purposes. Both way would be easier than investing
time in migrating bugs to some other tracker.

I disagree. I think that if the software supports an importer it wouldn't
hurt to use it for the demo.

> If you want some bugs, you can try out Bugzilla JSON interface which is
used to generate the release reports. Entry point is:
>  https:// <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/jsonrpc.cgi>
bugzilla.wikimedia.org
<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/jsonrpc.cgi>/<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/jsonrpc.cgi>
jsonrpc.cgi <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/jsonrpc.cgi>

Again most of the software supports an import via a database dump so I'd
rather use that.

> Guillaume wrote a blog post about bug tracker, you might want to have a
look at it:
> http://<http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/>
www.gpaumier.org<http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/>
/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-<http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/>
wikimedia<http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/>
-websites-tools/<http://www.gpaumier.org/blog/520_scaling-up-software-development-for-wikimedia-websites-tools/>

Interesting. Again, it seems we're in agreement for the need of a better
project management tool.

> Find below my comments about the proposed softwares:
>
>> The following software is planned for test:
>>
>>  - JIRA<http:// <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>
www.atlassian.com <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>
/software/
<http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>jira<http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>
/overview <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview>>
>> + Greenhopper + Bonfire
>

> I guess it was installed on Toolserver just because it was written in
Java, a language that River Tarnell like.
> Anyway, I would dismiss it just because that is a proprietary software.
>

>>    - YouTrack<http:// <http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>
www.jetbrains.com
<http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>/<http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>
youtrack
<http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>/<http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/>

> Proprietary software as well.

Like I replied earlier, this is not a major concern.

www.chiliproject.org/ <https://www.chiliproject.org/>>

> The later being a fork of the former. Both are written in ruby which, as
far as I know, our operation team do not want to hear about on our
production cluster.

Fair enough.

www.thebuggenie.com
<http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>/<http://www.thebuggenie.com/index.php>
www.opensourcecms.com<http://www.opensourcecms.com/demo/1/259/The+Bug+Genie>
/demo/1/259/The+Bug+Genie<http://www.opensourcecms.com/demo/1/259/The+Bug+Genie>

>> If you have any suggestions for this list I'd be glad to hear it.
>

> Have a look at mantis http://
> <http://www.mantisbt.org/>www.mantisbt.org/<http://www.mantisbt.org/>:-) I
> like it a lot.

Sure.